Home Learning Codes are an individualized QR code or Text Code that allows students to log into the Seesaw App at home while protecting students’ privacy.
🌟 New to logging in to Seesaw? Start with the basics of Student sign-in modes!
Home Learning Codes overview
- Students can post to their journals, respond to activities, and view announcements.
- Home Learning Code login does not change any class settings; the only difference is that students will only be able to see work that they are tagged in and will be unable to see each other's work (more info about class privacy here).
- App update is required.
- Students can have up to 50 valid Home Learning Codes, and can stay logged in with Home Learning Codes for up to one year.
🧰 If you have a subscription to Seesaw for Schools your school administrator needs to enable this feature. Please contact your school administrators directly.
To access the Home Learning Codes for your class, please follow the instructions below:
1. Sign in as a teacher from the web and tap the wrench icon. Home Learning codes can only be generated from a computer.
2. Tap Home Learning Student Codes.
3. Print or Download codes to distribute to students.
Each student will have a unique QR code and a 16-letter text code available as a PDF (one page per student) or CSV (by class or for all students taught by a teacher) that is valid for one year.
Teachers can get a new code at any time.
4. You do not need to change your class sign-in mode.
Once signed in, a student will stay signed in for up to one year until they sign out.
- If students are using tablet or phone devices for home learning, they will need to download the Seesaw app onto their device. If they already have the app on a home device, they will need to update the app for home learning codes to work. Students can also access the latest version of Seesaw from any computer at app.seesaw.me
- Go to the Seesaw app or app.seesaw.me and select I am a student.
- Type in the 16 digit text code or scan the individualized QR code.
If students are already using their email addresses to sign in to Seesaw, they can continue to do so from home.
⚠️To ensure student work remains private at home: tap on Class Settings (wrench icon in the upper right corner) of your teacher account and toggle 'students can see each other's work' off. This way students can only access their own posts and are unable to look at other students' work.
Home Learning Codes can be reset at any time if needed, for instance if the code has been compromised.
- Tap on Class Settings (wrench in the upper right corner).
- Click on Students > Home Learning Student Codes.
- Tap on Need to reset all home learning codes in this class.
- You'll receive a confirmation pop-up that Home Learning Codes have been reset.
- Class Codes are for students to use when they are working in their classroom. Home Learning Codes are a secure way for students to log in from home.
- 🚩 The Class Code should only be used in the physical classroom. To protect student privacy, the Class Code should not be sent home with students to log in from home.
- 🚩 Students who do not log in via email/SSO should log in from home using the Home Learning Code.