Below you will find answers to our most frequently asked CSV questions!
Yes! You can use Clever or ClassLink this year, even if you have used CSV Rosters to create classes in the past.
When Clever and Seesaw sync for the first time, Clever will search for existing students to update their accounts and enroll them in their new classes. In order for Clever to find existing students in Seesaw, the Student ID field in Seesaw must match the SIS ID field in Clever. Seesaw can not match on Student Number or State ID fields.
The process is the same for ClassLink. However, in order for ClassLink to find existing students in Seesaw, the Student ID field in Seesaw must match the SourcedID field in ClassLink. Seesaw can not match on Student Number or State ID fields.
Optionally, if your students have email addresses connected to their accounts in Seesaw, that will serve as a unique identifier for Clever and ClassLink. The sync will be able to locate those existing accounts and update their accounts.
You can find our Rostering Guides below:
Yes! Students can be enrolled in multiple classes. The student ID is how we link students across classes in your dashboard. You can roster a student in multiple classes in your CSV template. The student will be rostered in all classes when the CSV is uploaded. You can find more information about uploading your CSV roster template here!
Yes, if you are creating and rostering different classes with each upload. For instance, if you want to roster your 1st Grade classes this week, and your 2nd grade classes next week, you can import two different CSVs to Seesaw.
Warning: It is not possible to upload a new CSV to update the roster on an existing class. All rostering changes will need to be handled manually from the Admin Dashboard.
At this time, it is not possible to add a new student to an existing class with a CSV Roster Import. Uploading a new CSV, even with matching names in the Class Name column, will create a brand new class with the new student enrolled in it.
We have two options for adding new students to existing classes in Seesaw.
Option 1: Create Individual Students
You can create a brand new student's journal from your Admin Dashboard. This option is recommended if you are only adding a handful of students to your school account.
- Sign in to your Seesaw for Schools dashboard at https://app.seesaw.me.
- Click on the Student tab.
- Click on the Create Student button.
- Follow the prompts to add their information, create their account and add them to the correct classes.
Option 2: Fake Class CSV Roster Import
If you are uploading a larger number of students to your school, and they all need to be enrolled in active classes, I recommend this method. You can create their accounts in bulk, which will be faster than creating them individually, and then add them to their classes.
- Make a copy of this Google Sheet
- Fill out the CSV with your Teacher and Student's information. You can put yourself as the teacher for this upload. I recommend naming the class "Temporary Class"
- Upload the CSV to Seesaw
- Click on the Classes tab and locate Temporary Class
- Click on Manage Class
- Click on Manage Students
- You can then click into Add to Class on each of the student's accounts and enroll them in the classes they are meant to be in.
- After you enroll the new students in their active classes, you will Archive the Temporary Class by scrolling down to the bottom of the Manage Class page and selecting Archive Class.
There are a couple of ways this could happen.
- Teachers using Free Seesaw were added to your dashboard and you have already CSV rostered your classes (essentially each teacher could have multiple classes)
- You have uploaded multiple CSVs to Seesaw
You can archive these classes in order to clean up your dashboard data! Tap on "Class Settings" from the Classes tab > scroll down and select "Archive Class".
If you have a large number of classes to archive, you can bulk archive by date! On the "Overview" tab > select "Archive Old Classes" > Select the date > all classes created before that date will be automatically archived.
Please note that with Seesaw for Schools, Family members will be able to see all archived classes as well as active classes. To clean up their view, you can turn off Family Access in the classes that you archive.
Select "Class Settings" on the class you'd like to edit > scroll down and toggle OFF "Enable family access". The class will then be hidden from family members.