Below you will find answers to our most frequently asked CSV questions!
Yes! You can use Clever or ClassLink this year, even if you have used CSV Rosters to create classes in the past.
When Clever and Seesaw sync for the first time, Clever will search for existing students to update their accounts and enroll them in their new classes. In order for Clever to find existing students in Seesaw, the Student ID field in Seesaw must match the SIS ID field in Clever. Seesaw can not match on Student Number or State ID fields.
The process is the same for ClassLink. However, in order for ClassLink to find existing students in Seesaw, the Student ID field in Seesaw must match the SourcedID field in ClassLink. Seesaw can not match on Student Number or State ID fields.
Optionally, if your students have email addresses connected to their accounts in Seesaw, that will serve as a unique identifier for Clever and ClassLink. The sync will be able to locate those existing accounts and update their accounts.
You can find our Rostering Guides below:
Yes! Students can be enrolled in multiple classes. The student ID is how we link students across classes in your dashboard. You can roster a student in multiple classes in your CSV template. The student will be rostered in all classes when the CSV is uploaded. You can find more information about uploading your CSV roster template here!
Yes, if you are creating and rostering different classes with each upload. For instance, if you want to roster your 1st Grade classes this week, and your 2nd grade classes next week, you can import two different CSVs to Seesaw.
Warning: Uploading a new Classes CSV with rostering updates will not update existing classes. Any rostering updates that you would like to make should be made by manually enrolling students in classes, or with the CSV Bulk Updater tool on the Student's tab on the School dashboard.
You can manually enroll a student in a class by clicking the Student Tab > Search the student > Click [...] > Click Edit Student > Manage Classes > Add to Classes
With the Bulk Updater tool, found on the Student Tab of the School Dashboard, you can create new students and enroll new and existing students in classes.
To Create a New Student:
- Create a copy of this Create Student template
- Enter in your student's First Name, Last Name, Student ID, Email address, and password.
Note: Google Accounts do not need a password
- Export the sheet as a CSV
- Navigate to the Student Tab of your School Dashboard
- Click Bulk Update Students and upload the CSV
- Your students will be created and ready to be enrolled in classes.
To Enroll New or Existing Students in Classes (In Bulk)
- Make a copy of the Update Student sheet
- Enter in student's First Name, Last Name, Email, Student ID, and Attends Class IDs
Note: You should delete any columns that you are not updating; ex: Clever IDs, ClassLink IDs, Student Active Orgs, Student Archived Orgs.
- In the Attends Class IDs column, enter in the class IDs for each class that you want to enroll student's into. If you're adding them to multiple classes, separate the Class IDs with commas. Note: You can get a list of your Class IDs by click the Classes Tab > Clicking the [...] menu > clicking Download CSV of Class Rosters.
- Export this sheet as a CSV and navigate to the Students Tab of the School Dashboard
- Click Bulk Update Students and upload the CSV.
Your students should be enrolled in their classes shortly
There are a couple of ways this could happen.
- Teachers using Free Seesaw were added to your dashboard and you have already CSV rostered your classes (essentially each teacher could have multiple classes)
- You have uploaded multiple CSVs to Seesaw
You can archive these classes in order to clean up your dashboard data!
How To archive classes in bulk:
1. Click the [...] button on the Classes Tab
2. Download CSV of Class Rosters
3. Open the CSV and navigate to the Is Archived? Column
4. Change the cells to TRUE for any classes you want to archive
5. Save the CSV and navigate back to the School Dashboard
6. Click Bulk Update Classes and upload your CSV
The selected classes will archive in bulk, leaving the other classes active
Please note that with Seesaw for Schools, Family members will be able to see all archived classes as well as active classes. To clean up their view, you can turn off Family Access in the classes that you archive.
Select "Class Settings" on the class you'd like to edit > scroll down and toggle OFF "Enable family access". The class will then be hidden from family members.