Engage families in conversations centered on student learning. Families connect to their child’s Seesaw journal to participate in their student’s learning, see student work, and celebrate progress.
Families can connect to their child’s journal on the web (app.seesaw.me) or by downloading the Seesaw Family App, available on iOS and Android. Connecting families to their child’s journal helps you keep families in the loop and engaged in their child’s learning through personalized, easy-to-use, safe, and visual updates.
See a list of translated invites and resources here.
When families connect to their child’s journal, they can only see their individual child’s work, or group projects that their child is tagged in.
- To get started, make sure that you have added students to your class before you invite their families.
- Log in to your teacher account from the web (at app.seesaw.me). Go into the class you'd like to connect families to and tap the '+ Families' button located under your class list.
- Family Access is automatically set to OFF as a default setting on all classes. Please tap 'Turn on Family Access'. Remember, family members only see posts that their child is tagged in or posts that the teacher adds to “Everyone”.
There are several ways to connect families to their child’s journal. Choose the option that works best for your classroom.
To invite family members by email, add family member email address next to each student’s name. You can invite up to 10 family members to connect to each student’s journal. Once you’ve added their email address, they will receive an email invite (in English) to connect to their child’s journal.
5. A pop-up will appear after you choose the invite families button.
6. Once you’ve added email addresses, you can look back at any time to see the family members who have connected to each student journal. You can always remove connected family members through your Class Settings menu.
If you are looking for a translated invite, please use the printed QR code invite option.
To invite family members by SMS, add family member phone numbers next to each student’s name. You can invite up to 10 family members to connect to each student’s journal.
A pop up will appear after you choose the invite families button.
This will send an SMS text message straight to each family member’s mobile device, with an invitation to connect to their child’s journal.
Once you’ve added family phone numbers, you can look back at any time to see the family members who have connected to each student journal.
When families are invited by SMS, they are not signed up for SMS notifications. The default setting is to receive notifications by email. If families want to receive updates by SMS they will need to turn this feature on in their account settings.
Please note if you are outside of the United States and inviting family members with SMS, you will need to include the country code in addition to the phone number.
If you are in the UK, instead of adding a family member's phone number as 020 7183 8750, you need to include + country code:
Find your country calling code here.
If you are looking for a translated invite option, this is the invite option for you.
In order to invite family members with a printed QR code, choose Print Invites.
Then, select a language to print the invites in.
QR Codes will be generated for you to print. Please note that every student has their own unique QR code!
Teachers can generate an Invite Link to connect families to their students' Seesaw journals! To do this, tap 'Share an Invite Link,' then copy and paste the URL that generates into your communication with family members.
This invite link will work for every student in the Seesaw Class - when pasting the link into their browser window, all the family member has to do is choose their student's name from the list to connect to the journal.
Once the family member chooses which student they're trying to connect to and creates a Seesaw account, the teacher will receive a notification letting them know that they have a family invite pending.
Families will receive an email, SMS message, or QR code!
- When they receive an email it will appear directly in their personal inbox. Family members will need to choose to connect to their child’s journal.
- Family members will be prompted to sign in or create a new account.
When they receive an SMS message, it will appear on their device:
- When family members open the message, they will see directions to connect to their child’s journal.
- Family members will be prompted to sign in with an existing account or create a new account.
- If Family members do not have the Seesaw Family App, they will be prompted to download the Seesaw Family App (available on all appstores) once they have created an account.
When family members receive a QR Code, they can use their device’s camera or the camera in the Seesaw Family App to connect to their child’s account.
- When family members open their camera, they can take a picture of the QR code. Then will be prompted to open app.seesaw.me in Safari on their device.
- Once family members confirm the connection, they will be prompted to sign in or create an account.