Nothing gets parents engaged with the classroom like seeing and hearing what their child is doing at school. Seesaw reaches parents on their phone or in their email inbox where they're most likely to pay attention. When families subscribe to your classroom, they only have access to their own child's journal and items you post to 'Everyone' in the class.
How to Invite Parents:
1. Tap on your profile icon (top left), then tap on the "Invite Parents" link. Follow the prompts to get your parent invite letters and print them out, one for each student. You do not need to enter in email addresses for every parent.
2. Share our Parent Welcome video
- English: https://youtu.be/pzlrtDR84KY
- French: https://youtu.be/_rAqL6Mrd98
- Spanish: https://youtu.be/c_OeHFql5Xk
2b. OR - Post a Note item into your Seesaw class to welcome parents. Tag that note with 'everyone' so it appears for all parents. Here’s what you can include:
Welcome to Seesaw! We’re excited to share our classroom learning with you! Our Seesaw Tips:
- Check Seesaw regularly. You'll get notifications about new entries in your child's journal and can respond to their work. Customize your notification preferences in Account Settings.
- Celebrate your child's classroom success. Help to encourage the skills your child is working on in class outside of school.
- Specific comments are best. Asking questions, or complementing specific details can add to the learning conversation.
- In a group or 'everyone' post your comment is visible to everyone tagged - the students and their parents. This is a great opportunity to lift up the whole class!
3. Send Home the Parent Invite Handout: It’s easy for parents to sign up for Seesaw with the customized parent handout for each of your students. Print it out and send it home with your students.
4. Follow up by Email: Sometimes parents need an extra nudge. After a few days, remind parents via your class email list or blog. Try following up with our parent invite link (see above) in case parents lost the original handout.
5. Decide Whether to Allow Likes or Comments. You can choose to enable or disable likes and comments on student journals. Comments from parents can be a great way to give students an audience, but you can disable them in class settings.
Have questions about sharing with parents? Check out our Parent Access FAQ.
If families still haven't signed up, you can try a few things:
- Send home the invites again with students
- Send an email with a link to our family intro video
- Send home a sample piece of work. Click the [...] button > Print item
- Get families signed up at conferences or parent night
- Ask your students to share why they love Seesaw with families to get them excited!