You can now add work created using Google apps like Docs, Slides or Sheets, directly into Seesaw portfolios! Seesaw will automatically convert files into PDFs for easy viewing, or just pull in photo or video files stored on any cloud service, like Google Drive, Dropbox or iCloud Drive.
Say goodbye to messy link sharing and problems with connected families not being able to view files—Seesaw and Google can now work together seamlessly in your classroom!
Here's how to use the Add File tool on iOS:
- Tap on the green + to add a new item to Seesaw.
- Tap on the Add File button. Using Add File, you can add files stored on many cloud services, like iCloud Drive, Google Drive, Dropbox and more, directly into Seesaw.
- If you don’t see the service you want to use, tap on the [...] button and enable Google Drive or Dropbox by toggling them on. These apps must be installed on your device to use them with Seesaw.
- Sign in to your Google account (or Dropbox account). Once you've authenticated, you can now browse files that can be added into Seesaw.
- We will support adding Docs, Slides, Sheets, Drawings, plus any photos you have stored in Google Drive! If it can be added into Seesaw, the file icon will be colored.
- Tap the file you want to add.
- Seesaw will automatically convert Docs, Slides or Sheets file into a PDF, and then you’ll be taken to the annotation screen. You can browse all the pages, or tap the mic and add voice to the first page of the PDF, or a text caption.
- Because the file has been converted to a PDF, everyone will be able to view it in the journal, even if they don’t have Google apps installed on their device or access to your Google Drive. This is great for connected families!
- To view a PDF that you’ve added into Seesaw from the journal view, just tap on it to expand, then you can browse all of the pages. Students and families will also be able to do this!
- If you have photos saved to Google Drive or Dropbox for example, you’ll see all of the photo annotation options. Drawing, labels, voice and caption, just like if you added it from the camera roll!
I don't see Google Drive as an option on my iPad or iPhone? Why?
Please make sure the Google Drive app is installed on your device. Then tap go into Seesaw, and tap Add File > More > and enable Google Drive for your device.
Why can't I draw on top of a Google Drive file/PDF.
Right now, Seesaw does not support adding drawing or text labels on top of PDFs. You can add a voice recording or text caption to a PDF. Check out this FAQ for some ideas for workarounds.
If I update the file in Google Drive, does it update in Seesaw?
No, because Seesaw generates a PDF of your file (so it can easily be viewed by students and connected family members), the document will not update automatically in Seesaw when it is updated in Google. You will have to create a new post and post the new version.